Article 1: All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood. Article 3: Everyone has the rights to life, liberty and security of person. Article 5: No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment. Article 26(1): Everyone has the right to education. Higher education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.

THE REVOLUTION: OF HUMAN RIGHTS AND THE TEACHING PROFESSION IN MALAYSIA

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.
Thomas Jefferson, United States Declaration of Independence.

More than 200 years after Thomas Jefferson's Declaration of Independence, these truths cease to be self-evident at least to some of the teachers in Malaysia.

Let us hope that one day there will be no more oppression and bullying in schools where the biggest bullies of all are none other than the school principals themselves.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I Will Leave the School with a Heavy Heart

I have already submitted my application for a transfer for the second time. Do I really want to leave the school? Would I be happy in the new school? If I have a choice I would choose to stay but if I stay then the trauma continues. If I leave I am not sure if I would like the new school. To be frank, I love the students in my present school very much. Why do I love them so much? They have very good manners and know how to respect the teachers. Yesterday, when I met the 1A girls at the staircase they came to me one by one and kissed my hand. Today, the 1Y girls came to me one by one to kiss my hand. When I entered 1G for invigilation (I don't teach that class) all the students clapped their hands when they saw me. This isn't the only class doing this. Many other classes are also giving me such a warm welcome whenever I enter to relief. Although some of the boys are a bit naughty, they can still be controlled. Just mention Ustaz A or Mr B's name and they will run for their lives.

Edelweiss56 told me that in the present school that she is teaching, there was this girl who asked her for the permission to go to the toilet. When she said "no", this girl scolded her mother with the four letter word in chinese.

Do I have a choice? No, I don't. I have already asked for my students' phone numbers. Maybe I can still arrange to meet them somewhere after I left the school. I am not a race conscious person. Although my students are mostly Malays (with a few students of other races) I am so used to their ways that I care for them very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment