Article 1: All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood. Article 3: Everyone has the rights to life, liberty and security of person. Article 5: No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment. Article 26(1): Everyone has the right to education. Higher education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.

THE REVOLUTION: OF HUMAN RIGHTS AND THE TEACHING PROFESSION IN MALAYSIA

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.
Thomas Jefferson, United States Declaration of Independence.

More than 200 years after Thomas Jefferson's Declaration of Independence, these truths cease to be self-evident at least to some of the teachers in Malaysia.

Let us hope that one day there will be no more oppression and bullying in schools where the biggest bullies of all are none other than the school principals themselves.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

SHOULD I LODGE A POLICE REPORT?

There are news that the present principal may be transferred to another school. Everyone seems to be talking about it with excitement. When I told Edelweiss56 about it, she got a shock. She left the school because of my present principal. Since her principal would be retiring soon, there is the possibility that my present principal (her former principal) may be transferred to her school. Guess what she said? She said that if my present principal really goes to her school she would lodge a police report. The reason why she wanted to lodge a police report is clearly written in her blog article entitled "Severely Bullied Teacher". (Just google this article and you will find it). In fact this article was listed by Google when it first came out.

Something happened in my school on the 13th. of May 2010. That was a few months back. One of our colleagues, Puan R, who was interrogated for 3 hours by my present principal went to lodge a police report immediately after that. When Edelweiss56 saw her crying after the interrogation, (Edelweiss56 was still teaching in my school at that time) she quickly looked for me and told me what happened to Puan R. Puan R then told me that she was being interrogated for three hours by the principal. During these three hours she was not allowed to eat even though she was hungry. This really reminds me of how the criminals are being interrogated by the police. Is Puan R a criminal? The principal also threatened Puan R telling Puan R that she would give her 70 marks only for her prestasi this year. That was why Puan R cried so bitterly. Puan R's husband who is a police came to the school that day and they invited us (Edelweiss56 and I) to go to the police station with them to lodge a police report against the principal. At first we were very eager to go. But later, I changed my mind. I did not want to create trouble since I have already written my blog article about the principal's bullying case and taught Edelweiss56 to write hers. Edelweiss56 then said that we can still make the police report if the principal gives us less than 80 marks in the laporan penilaian prestasi since only the police report can invalidate the marks that are given irrationally.

What the principal did to me was clearly written in my blog article entitled "Oppression in a Secondary School in Kuala Lumpur". (Just google this article and you can find it). Did I do the wrong thing when I declined Puan R's offer to lodge a police report against the principal? Puan R is very safe now since she has a police report. Should the principal give her below 80 marks, the marks will be invalidated by her police report. Edelweiss56 called me yesterday and said that I can still make the police report now. Well, let's see how many marks she will give me first!

No comments:

Post a Comment