Article 1: All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood. Article 3: Everyone has the rights to life, liberty and security of person. Article 5: No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment. Article 26(1): Everyone has the right to education. Higher education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.

THE REVOLUTION: OF HUMAN RIGHTS AND THE TEACHING PROFESSION IN MALAYSIA

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.
Thomas Jefferson, United States Declaration of Independence.

More than 200 years after Thomas Jefferson's Declaration of Independence, these truths cease to be self-evident at least to some of the teachers in Malaysia.

Let us hope that one day there will be no more oppression and bullying in schools where the biggest bullies of all are none other than the school principals themselves.

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Is it a sin to go for further studies?

To date, I have been teaching in the present school for nine years. It was never my intention to leave the school. If I had a choice I would like to stay. But I have to leave. Why? Because I asked my principal to certify my certs for my application to do a PhD. I wasn't even sure if there would be someone to supervise me because my area of reasearch is rather unique. The moment I asked her to certify my certs, I was sent to the gallows.

Before I came to this school, I was teaching in a primary school. Immediately after I completed my degree course, I applied to do my masters at UM. But lo and behold, my headmistress said she wouldn't sign my application. I asked her why but she couldn't give a reason. She just said that didn't want to sign. I made a fuss out of it and told my colleagues that I would see the deputy education minister. She then signed my application reluctantly but I was blacklisted after that. But mother luck was on my side because I was transferred to this secondary school months later. And now it's time to leave the present school because of my intention to further my studies!

No comments:

Post a Comment